Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 1- Why I write about the allergy triad - allergies, asthma and eczema

As part of WEGO Health’s 2013 Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge, #HAWMC, I am going to take you on our journey over the next 30 days on how to deal and support those who fall within the allergy triad – or what I affectionately call the triple threat.

When I gave birth to my daughter, a passion to write and tweet @theallergymama about her health condition came to life. She developed eczema as a baby and around the age of two, we discovered she had food allergies. After her first bite of a fish flake she turned into a blowfish with swollen eyes and cried about itching. Not a good sign.  Then came spring and so did her wheezing. Welcome Asthma!
After she was seen by her pediatrician and allergist, we were educated about the allergy triad – allergies, asthma and eczema. Our daughter’s journey to live with the risk of anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction that can become fatal) and allergy-related conditions has driven me to become a health activist.  We’re managing asthma through every season, dealing with potentially life-threatening food allergies and eczema has recently become less of a problem.  I’m grateful my doctor warned me to about the ‘triad’ of allergy-related conditions. But, I never imagined it would be so life-changing. While no one can walk around in bubble and I would love to shield my daughter from every type of nut, seafood, grass and tree pollens – I cannot. But what I can do is help her on this journey by creating understanding about the seriousness of allergy-related conditions, managing it, and hopefully help others along the way. 
I am a newbie to #HAWMC, but not the health activist journey. I welcome you to join me on this journey and support others who deal with any allergy-related condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment